Nowadays, dental medicine has made a big step ahead through the so called implantology, improving the quality pf patients’ lives. A dental implant is in fact an artificial root of the tooth, a substitute for a tooth natural rooth, made of bio-compatible materials (titanium), that are inserted into the jaw. It is actually a good substitute for a tooth’s natural root and is commonly screw or cylinder shaped. A small attachment at the top of the dental implant emerges through the gum. Crowns, bridges or dentures can then be attached to the implant by screws or clips.
Several steps are needed:
1. The effective implant is inserted into the bone
2. A period of 3-6 months is needed to allow the implant to integrate into the bone
3. The abutment is attached to the head of the implant and this becomes the support for the final crown
4. The final crown is manufactured and cemented
Introduction to dental implants
Single or multiple tooth restauration:
Single tooth restauration
Multiple tooth restauration
Implant supported overdentures
Fixed detachable full arch restauration
Sometimes, if you wait too long before filling the empty spaces of your teeth, the bone will suffer resorption. When so, a bone augmentation must be made. This procedure can be made along with the implant or can be a stand-alone procedure that implies the augmentation of artificial bone usually sustained by a titanium non-resorbable membrane or a resorbable collagen membrane, that requires a period of 4 to 8 months for the new bone to be formed.
When there is insufficient bone offer height and the sinusal floor is lowered, there is the need for sinus floor elevation (sinus lift) in order to increase the height of bone available. When this procedure is necessary, it can be made before the implants or during the implant insertion procedure. Otherwise many patients would be unable to have dental implants in a part of the mouth where teeth are so commonly missing.
Soft tissue graftingDental implant have clear benefits:
- Dental implants work better than a traditional denture as they are more durable than traditional dentures and more comfortable to wear
- You can speak more clearly with teeth implants, as dental implants work like original teeth
- Dental implants prevent locomotion of teeth and bite disorders
- Looks natural – and sometimes better than the natural tooth
- Helps maintain facial appearance
- Provides you a better smile and creates self confidence
- Healthy jawbone – do not let your jaw deteriorate after loosing a tooth or more teeth
- Helps preserve your healthy teeth
- Teeth implants provide long term solutions – as more than 90% of dental implants work perfectly for over 20 years